Saturday, October 26, 2013

Good ol' days

Today I was thinking about riding my motorcycle on a long trip and how I'd carry my new rifle. Recently, I had a chance to pick up something I've always wanted - a lever-action rifle. This one is a Marlin .30-.30 carbine - the Zane Grey edition, manufactured for the 100th anniversary of Grey's birth. (Now to put it on my Bucket List and cross it off; heh-heh)

That got me thinking about the farm and riding our horses and the old saddles - and wondering what happened to them.

Remember the old Army saddle? What was it called? McClellan saddle? This image sort of looks like it, doesn't it?

There were small brass loops to which things could be tied, like saddlebags.

Frankly, I liked the Western saddles better. They definitely were more comfortable.

Remember the little two-room cabin down by the barn? And the old barn itself? What do you suppose kept it from falling down?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home