Sunday, December 29, 2013

Gus's stocking

When do you suppose Mom made our stockings?

Think she made them before our first Christmas? If she did, then mine was made in 1939, 74 years ago.

And, yes, it has the right name on it. "Frank" is my given name, after Dad. But I'm not a Junior, because our middle names are different. Mine is Richey, after a favorite uncle (well, husband of an aunt), Clint Richey, who was Thelma's husband.

Dad's middle name was Roosevelt, although he would never tell anyone, because they'd think "FDR", rather than Teddy Roosevelt (1858-1919), the Rough Rider and POTUS (1901-1909). Dad was born November 12, 1900.

Why was I called "Gus"? I didn't know until I was in my forties (maybe 1984?). A friend, also with a February birthday, and I were enjoying a late birthday dinner, and she asked how I got the name "Gus". I didn't know, and she asked whether I could ask my parents. It was a little late for that, since Mom had died in 1960 and Dad in 1962. She asked who else would know.

A-ha, my sister Clellie! So we called her. It was about 12:30AM in Denver - 2:30AM in Florida!

We woke up Clellie with "Hi, Clellie, it's Gus."

"Who?"

"Gus."

"Gus who?"

"Gus Philpott. You know, your brother..."

heh-heh. She told us that Mom had nicknamed me Gus. When Mom was pregnant with me, I'd kick, and Mom would say, "Down, Gus." Clellie thought maybe there had been a stablehand at Missouri Stables named Gus.

Anyway, Dad insisted that my legal name be Frank, and that's what ended up on my stocking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home