Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Back in the saddle

Yesterday in Columbia, S.C. my daughter, Stephanie, and I went horseback riding. The day brought back memories of Missouri Stables (just down the street from the Highlands) and the farm in Chesterfield.

I rode a horse, Zeke, on Saturday that was 17-2 hands, and I was reminded of Itsy-Bitsy, Mom's horse, which was 16-2 hands.

I went on a trail ride with others on Saturday, and then yesterday Stephanie and I went on a trail ride - just the two of us. Stephanie had ridden dressage and jumpers in high school and college.

Me? I just enjoyed riding. I recall a day one summer at the farm, when Mom was making a trip to Wetzel's. She told me to stay off the horses. And I did - until the taillights on her station wagon were out of sight. She was a smart one, Mom was. She turned around and caught me just as a climbed aboard one of the horses bareback and with no bridle.

Didn't Mom say, "Don't ever ride a horse you can't see over?" Needless to say, I had to lead Zeke to the mounting block that Saturday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home