Thursday, May 19, 2016

Remembering Flynn Park

Something that brother Jim wrote me about Flynn Park today reminded me of the Flynn Park Elementary School reunion that the Class of '51 had in 1999. That year also happened to be the 75th anniversary of Flynn Park.

I was living in Woodstock, Ill., about 330 miles north of University City, and I had decided to ride my motorcycle to U. City for the event. Luckily, the weather early that October was good. I arrived at the school at about 3:00PM and before school let out for the day.

I knew it was important to go straight to the Principal's Office, and so I did. It was in the same room as in 1951 (I remember it well), and I walked into the small, crowded secretary's office. Two women were there, and I'm not sure just what they thought when they looked up and saw me. I was wearing jeans, my motorcycle jacket, motorcycle boots and I was carrying my helmet.

I didn't say anything, and eventually one of the women asked, "Can we help you with something?"

I stuttered and stumbled over my words. "Umm, uhhh, well, I was t-t-told to go to the Principal's Office. I was afraid, and so I ran away. That was in 1951. Mrs. Rossi's not still here waiting for me, is she?"

They laughed and said, "No, you're safe. She's not here."

I think Mrs. Rossi was Principal at Flynn Park for 25-35 years. By 1999 she had taken her ruler and headed north to the Great Elementary School in the Sky, where I'm sure she was keeping things in order.

1 Comments:

At May 20, 2016 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Gus said...

Brother Jim wrote, after reading this:

"neat

"I still have the photos of "The Good Writer's Club" from 3 years at Flynn Park. I suppose everyone was in the Good Writer's Club, I can't imagine they left someone with poor handwriting out of the class picture; however, political correctness was not in vogue at that time, I don't think.

"I was told, and I believed, that there was a paddling machine in that closet next to the secretary's desk - I was sure never to do anything that might get me sent to the principal's office - were you the one who told me that?

"Other than that, life was good at Flynn Park School

"In fifth grade, it was election year - Dwight Eisenhower was running against Adlai Stevenson (with a hole in his shoe)

"I was selected to give a speech for Ike, and Billy Pauley was selected to give a speech for Stevenson, then the class voted. Ike won the election in Miss Estes' fifth grade class.

"That same year, we had a field trip to Lincoln's tomb and statue in Springfield, Ill. I was the class president, and had to memorize and recite the Gettysburg address - I can still recite it, with a little prompting.

"A couple of years ago, Russ and Mandy and the kids visited Wash. DC while I was living in Annapolis. Ali, Russ' oldest daughter, was really impressed with the Lincoln Memorial. She was even more impressed when I was able to recite the Gettysburg Address - she was not aware that it was chiseled in granite on the wall that I was facing!"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home