Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It's hot, hot, hot

It's hot in Woodstock, Illinois today. The forecast is 99° F., with the Heat Index reaching 105-107° F. Kind of reminds me of U. City, when I was a kid. What was it that Pop said? Typical St. Louis summer weather was "100° temperature and 100° humidity - and not a cloud in sight!"

I remember mowing the grass at Clellie's one day. Where was that house, Clellie? You know the one. Tried to find it on Google today - even the little city or town. I don't even recognize half of those towns now.

Anyway, I must have been 10-11-12, and it was a day like today. I mowed the lawn, worked up a sweat, and headed for the kitchen for a cold drink. I got the "polio jar" from the refrigerator and drank down a quart of ice-cold water.

Clellie came into the kitchen and warned me, "Don't drink all that cold water; don't you know that's dangerous?"

So I filled the jar with tap water and drank that down!

2 Comments:

At July 26, 2011 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Clel Philpott Shore said...

Clellie will explain the polio jar.that is the public bottle of water in the refrigerator that everyone drinks out of and then fills it back up an puts it back in the refrigerator.. Twenty years later in Florida, I laughed when the preacher came in, opened the frig, had a drink and put the bottle back.

 
At July 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM , Blogger Gus said...

Think we are the only family that called it a "polio jar"?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home