Monday, July 4, 2011

Hop on the bus, Gus

When I was a kid (that was in the 1940s), I used to ride the Delmar bus downtown after school and go to swim lessons at the Missouri Athletic Club (M.A.C.). (Click on the picture to enlarge it; then click on the Back button on your browser to come back here.)

Mr. Thomas was the swim coach, and he was one hard taskmaster. I remember many links of the pool with the paddle board, kicking only. And others with arm strokes (only). Never did learn the flip turn and always wished that I had.

I'd catch the bus at Delmar and Warder, and I sat in the front seat, right behind the driver. I'd guess now that I was 6-7-8 years old. Can you imagine parents' letting their kids ride ten miles on a city bus these days???

I learned the names of all the streets between Warder Ave. and 4th & Washington, in downtown St. Louis, and the drivers would let me call out the names.

After swimming, Dad would pick me up at the M.A.C., and we'd ride home together.

On other days, I'd take my Baby Brownie Special, hop on the bus, and go downtown to the railroad yards, where I photographed engines, freight cars and cabooses. That would, of course, never be allowed today. Today you get a $250 ticket in my town for crossing the tracks if the lights are flashing and the gates are down, even if the train isn't close.

1 Comments:

At July 5, 2011 at 7:17 AM , Blogger Clel Philpott Shore said...

Clellie asks Gus
What do you think of the Argus C3?
That was the question you always were asking Greer..I still have one on my green book shelves.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home